Saturday, November 8, 2008

Flickr Slide Show Florida Aquarium


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

I found using Flickr photo a little difficult at first. I tried to upload my photos at home and could not get anything to upload. I ended up saving my photos on my laptop so I could upload them at school. Once I got the hang of it everything went pretty well. I got my photos uploaded my titles and descriptions on. I then had to re-visit elive to get directions for putting the slide show on my blog. I also had to download firefox because for some reason flickr.com did not load correctly on Internet Explorer there was an error on the page. I could not go to organize to create my set and order my slides for my story. Once I got on Firefox I was able to create my set and order my pictures. Then when I went to FlickrSlidr I could not preview the slide show because there was no plugin even after I downloaded Adobe Flash. There was definitely some frustrating moments, but for the most part I really enjoyed the project. I was trying to think of how I might use this in my classroom and nothing was coming to me at first. I was working on my assignment at carnival and one of my students asked what I was doing then made the comment that she would really like to try to make a Flickr Slide show. As I was setting up my descriptions and explaining the scientific information about the birds and animals in my slide show I realized I could use it to have students take pictures during field trips or of lab projects and put them in a Flickr Slide Show to share with others on the internet or to put on our school web site. I was trying to think of ways that we could get photos that would not cause copyright issues also. The only things I could think of was maybe setting up a folder with the many pictures I have taken at field camps and national parks. I have quite a few pictures that I could use to set up a picture library for students to publish their own Flickr Shows. They would be required to do the research for the scientific descriptions. As I was sitting here writing this post I thought of having students take pictures of their labs and inquiry projects as a possibility as I mentioned before. Again writing the descriptions with scientific information and details about their methods and observations would certainly help reinforce and enhance their learning.

2 comments:

skipvia said...

This is a wonderful slide show (excellent photos!) and a thoughtful collection of ideas for using Flickr Slidr in a classroom--along with some caveats and obstacles. Flickr has a lot of traffic on it and sometimes it can cause frustratingly slow upload times. And using Flickr Slidr adds several extra steps to a process that Flickr already provides, at least partially. You can go to Flickr, open a photo set, and view it as a slideshow right within Flickr. However, I still think that Flickr Slidr adds value in that you can embed a slide show with a decent amount of descriptive text into a blog or a web page in a very small space. Also, that slide show never needs any more attention. If you add pictures or text to your Flickr set, the changes are automatically updated in Flickr Slidr.

Jodi said...

Wow, cool to know that if I want to add photos to the Flickrslidr that changes are automatically updated. Thanks for the info Skip