Monday, December 8, 2008

Instructional Unit Atoms and Presentation

The most difficult part of this assignment was fitting all my information into a few slides. I did manage to get all my information on ten slides. The idea for the project was easy since I was already doing some of it with my students. I think they enjoyed making the videos though we did run into some technical difficulties, but we overcame them. It was great having access to atomic learning because that helped me and the students. We spent a couple class periods just going over videos explaining how to deal with some of the issues we ran into. I learned a lot more about making the videos right along with the students. The students also enjoyed the internet games and quizzes. I heard quite a few of them saying wow I really get this by doing these activities. I even heard it from one of my skepitcal students who originally asked me why we had to even go to the computer lab and do those stupid internet activities. I didn't have the students do the online storybook this year, but I may incorporate it next year. I will have them create a voice thread when we do the atom models. I plan to start those on this Thursday and Friday. I will just have to remember the camera so we can take pictures of the models. I have a chemical equation activity that I found online that the students can take pictures of too. The website provided colored images of chemical symbols, formulas, numbers, and arrows that the students will put together to make chemical equations that we can take pictures of. I might even have them create chemical equation balancing tutorial and problems that their classmates can solve by commenting on their voice threads. Putting together this project really helped me come up with some new ideas for teaching chemistry to eight graders in physical science I really enjoyed it, thanks Skip.

No comments: